"To provide a "home away from home" for families of children traveling to Grand Rapids for their child's medical or mental health treatment."
The first Ronald McDonald House opened in Philadelphia in 1974. Since then more than 350 Houses have been licensed around the world ... all have the common mission of providing a "home away from home" for the families of children seeking medical or mental health treatment.
The Ronald McDonald House of Western Michigan (RMHWM) opened on March 23, 1990. The 19,000 square foot facility was designed specifically as a Ronald McDonald House. Located on five park-like acres, the House has seventeen bedrooms with private baths; two are isolation equipped and three are handicap accessible. Common rooms include a large family-style kitchen with four complete cooking areas, a dining room, great room with fireplace, sitting room, sunroom overlooking a playground area and walking path, a laundry room, children's play house, and recreation room.
Overview of the House
RMHWM registers over 400 families each year. Many families come in and out over an extended period of time. While guests arrive from counties throughout Michigan, other states, and even foreign countries, the majority of the families served reside in the West Michigan area.
Referrals are welcome from all hospitals and treatment programs in Grand Rapids, as well as outpatient services.
Complimentary Amenities of the House include:
- Secured building with staff on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week/365 days a year
- Private room with bath and Tempur-Pedic bed, phone, TV, linens, and toiletries
- Shuttle Service wherever needed (9 a.m. – 9 p.m.)
- Free laundry facility (including supplies)
- Activities (including the West Michigan Therapy Dogs)
- Free parking
- Chaplain services
- Free Admission to local attractions (John Ball Zoo, Frederik Meijer Gardens, Grand Rapids Children’s Museum, Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum, Grand Rapids Public Museum, Gymco, Kroc Center, David D. Hunting YMCA)
- Full Kitchen access
- Semi-private refrigerator/freezer space
- Communal refrigerator, freezer, and pantry stocked with food and supplies
- Breast pump
- Free WIFI and/or computer access