To provide a ‘home-away-from-home’ for families traveling to Grand Rapids for critical medical and mental health treatment for their children.
The first Ronald McDonald House opened in Philadelphia in 1974. Since then more than 360 Houses have been licensed around the world … all with the common mission of keeping families close as their children receive medical or mental health treatment.
The Ronald McDonald House of Western Michigan (RMHWM) opened on March 23, 1990. The 19,000 square foot facility was designed specifically as a Ronald McDonald House. Located on five park-like acres, the House has seventeen bedrooms with private baths; two are isolation equipped and three are handicap accessible. Common rooms include a large family-style kitchen with four complete cooking areas, a dining room, great room with fireplace, sitting room, sunroom overlooking the backyard that has a playground area and walking path and children’s play house, a laundry room, and recreation room.
Overview of the House
RMHWM registers over 300 families each year. While guests arrive from counties throughout Michigan, other states, and even foreign countries, the majority of the families served reside in the West Michigan area. Families stay at the House for 19 nights, on average, though we have had families stay with us for close to a year. We usually have 35-45 guests at the House each night.
Complimentary Amenities of the House include:
- Secured building with staff on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week/365 days a year
- Private room with bathroom and Tempur-Pedic bed, phone, TV, linens, and toiletries
- Shuttle Service
- Laundry facility (including supplies)
- Chaplain services
- Admission to local attractions (John Ball Zoo, Frederik Meijer Gardens, Grand Rapids Children’s Museum, Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum, Grand Rapids Public Museum, Kroc Center, YMCA)
- Full Kitchen access
- Semi-private refrigerator/freezer space
- Communal refrigerator, freezer, and pantry stocked with food and supplies
- Breast pump
- Free WIFI and/or computer access